How to apply for Canadian immigration spousal sponsorship: This post will guide you about how an individual can submit the subjected application for obtaining the permanent residency for spouse (common-law partner, husband or wife). One of the primary element of the Canadian Immigration is Spousal Sponsorship. Canada is aiming to welcome 80,000new immigrants each year via one of the Spousal, Partner and Child Category Program under Immigration Levels Plan 2021-2023. Under this plan, majority of candidates will be invited as partners nd spouse of permanent residents and Canadian Citizens.
As we know, due to this pandemic, applications for spousal sponsorship has been delayed, however IRCC should be taking it on track once COVID-19 has been contained. Below you will know about What is Sponsorship Program and How to apply for this program?
What is Sponsorship Process? How to Apply?
Any Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident may sponsor his/her spouse, conjugal partner, common-law partner to get the permanent resident status. IRCC then provides approval based on the eligibility of sponsor and sponsored person. In order to get approval, both sponsor and sponsored party needs to prove that their relationship falls under the following category:
- Common-law partner
- Conjugal Partner
Who can be the sponsor?
Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents can only be the sponsors if they meet the eligibility criteria:
- Must be at least 18 years old.
- They should be the Permanent resident or Canadian Citizens. Also, they can be registered in Canada as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act.
- Canadians Citizens who are living abroad must be able to demonstrate to IRCC that they have a plan to live with their partner in Canada once they are PR.
- Unless they have any disability, they must not be receiving any social assistance.
- They provide for sponsored person’s financial needs.
Eligibility to be sponsored
To be eligible for being sponsored, the person must be 18 years old or should be following under three groups:
- Spouse: Legal marriage proof must be provided between sponsor and sponsored person
- Common-law partner: If sponsored person is not legally married to sponsor then they must be living with each other for 12 consecutive months at least.
- Conjugal Partner: In case the partner has not legally been married to the sponsor, however they have been in relationship with each other for at least 12 month (1 year) and resides outside Canada. Moreover, they are unable to marry each other, IRCC may consider that the relation as a conjugal relationship. The reason of impossibility of marriage can be legal reasons, cultural or religious.
How to apply for Canadian immigration spousal sponsorship?
Immigration Refugees Citizenship Canada (IRCC) requires 2 applications together to be submitted at the same time, which are:
- Permanent Residence Application
- Sponsorship Application
Below steps needs to be followed to apply for spousal sponsorship:
- Discovering the self eligibility to be a sponsor
- Get application package of IRCC
- Submitting the IRCC’s fees which includes processing fees, biometric fees and right of PR fees.
- Sending mail of these 2 applications to IRCC.
Steps to follow after getting approval from IRCC
Certain responsibilities must be fulfilled once applicant receive the approval on their application.
- The person who is been sponsored is not eligible to sponsor another applicant for at least 5 years, after getting their sponsorship.
- Sponsors must take responsibility of their loved ones for at least three years.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you are looking for a licensed ICCRC Immigration consultant to handle and represent your application.
We hope you like our article on How to apply for Canadian immigration spousal sponsorship?. In case you have any queries related to the immigration process to Canada, please feel free to contact us. Our best immigration lawyers in Canada will assess your profile and give you the best suitable options.