If you’re looking forward to entering Canada’s labour market, and want to know how to get a work permit in Canada?
There are several ways to get work permits in Canada. In this blog, we are going to discuss few ways to apply and get a Work Permit.
By applying for a Canadian Work Permit, you can start working in Canada.
If you’re an outsider, you can apply before you enter Canada. However, there are some work permit visa requirements that depend on what country you’re applying from. Make sure to check all the instructions for a work permit visa.
Requirements for all applicants
- leave Canada when your work permit expires;
- enough money to take care of yourself and your family members during your stay in Canada and to return home;
- obey the law and have no record of criminal activity (may ask you to give a police clearance certificate);
- no danger to Canada’s security;
- good health and have a medical exam if needed;
- not plan to work for an employer listed with the status “ineligible” on the list of employers who failed to comply with the conditions;
- not plan to work for an employer who, on a regular basis, offers striptease, erotic dance, escort services, or erotic massages; and
- give the officer any other documents they ask for to prove you can enter the country.
Due to Covid-19 before traveling to Canada, make sure to follow Covid test and quarantine requirements to keep everyone safe. Under certain situations, you may be exempt from some of these requirements.
You may also need to take a medical examination before you move to Canada.
How to Apply to get Work Permit In Canada
You must apply for a Work permit in Canada before you enter. In some cases, foreigners can apply at the border.
Basically, this is a two-step process.
Apply for a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) from Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC) for the majority of cases.
After the positive or neutral assessment has been issued, the individual can apply for a Canadian work permit on that basis.
There are two major programs you can apply for.
one is the Temporary Foreign Worker Program (TWFP), and the other is the International Mobility Program(IMP).
How do I get a Work Permit under TFWP
It is an employer-driven process. The candidate must be allowed to work in Canada
Individuals must apply for LMIA and clear it. After this, you can submit your offer letter, the LMIA letter, and all other required documents to IRCC to get a work permit.
Work permits under the TFWP are employer-specific which means the foreign worker can only work for the employer that hired them and for a duration of time that has been approved by the Canadian government.
If an Individual wants to change the company or employers, they must apply for a new Work Permit before performing another job in Canada.
How do I work in Canada under the IMP
It can be led by an employer or by a foreign worker. If an employer has a vacancy and an individual falls under an IMP stream, the employer can hire the individual.
Unlike the TFWP , an individual can work with any employer of their choice(not the case for everyone) if they fall under the IMP scheme.
Common reasons to be eligible to work in Canada under the IMP include:
- CUSMA: American and Mexican Nationals may be eligible for ease processing when applying for a work permit in Canada.
- Intra-Company Transfers: This allows certain employers to transfer workers to their offices in Canada.
- Television and Film: Canada welcomes entertainment industry employees to support its booming TV and film industry.
- Business Visitors: Foreign workers who showcase that they meet certain requirements, can be eligible to work in Canada without needing a work permit.
- International Experience Canada: Canada has bilateral agreements with over 30 countries that allow youth to gain work experience.
- Bridging Open Work Permit: Eligible skilled worker candidates living in Canada can apply for a BOWP while their permanent residence application is being processed. In addition, eligible spouses/partners of Canadian citizens/permanent residents can get a BOWP if they are living in Canada.
- Post-Graduation Work Permit: The PGWP is the most common work permit under the IMP. Eligible international graduates of Canadian designated learning institutions (e.g., colleges and universities) can obtain a PGWP for up to three years.
Work Permit Duration
Work Permits have an expiry date. The Canadian government set limits on the length of Work permit how long one can work Candian or Non-Canadian.
Individuals can work for 48 months or 4 years total. After completing the four years of work, they have to leave Canada and live outside of the country for at least 48 months or 4 years in total.
Visit our website if you’re looking for citizenship in Canada.
Contact email@example.com if you are looking for a licensed ICCRC Immigration consultant to handle and represent your application.
We hope you like our article on Jobs in Canada: How to Get a Work Permit in Canada. In case you have any queries related to the immigration process to Canada, please feel free to contact us. Our best immigration lawyers in Canada will assess your profile and give you the best suitable options.